Monthly Archives: May 2009

Friday Log (5.29.2009)

7:00 – 4:30

  • Working on being able to select columns and cells for plotting. It seems that the ColumnSelectedEvent class that the Flex3 Cookbook speaks of does not exist. Working around it.
  • Got most of the pieces working. Need to name the plot items a bit better using the parentObject name that is in with the data provider. Tricky stuff today. Oh yeah. Need to add some comments before I forget how this all works.
  • Burning a copy of the MvnAssist code and plugin to bring in on Monday

Thursday Log (5.28.2009)

7:00 – 3:30

  • Swung by the fort to deploy new personnel records.
  • Wrote Anne a note laying out the plan to write ingestors, then bring in the new system to test for deployment issues, then iterate on look and feel
  • Working on getting QueryEntry and QueryRelationship into GenericQueryTest
  • Got rid of Query Relationship and now have relationships inside of the QueryEntry, which I think will make for easier navigation. It’s basically a set of lists pointed in a Dictionary by relationship type (parent_of, child_of, talks_to, etc)
  • Second meeting at the fort. Anne wants to keep focus on development of new app, but will take the Excel tool if it pops out. Also, she *really* likes the idea of email alerts based on thresholds.

Wednesday Log

5.27.2009

7:00 – 5:00

  • Working on data generators for HrmsPersonnel and HrmsRoster
  • Need to write data visualization paper
  • Farewell lunch for Bob R at 11:00
  • Worked on getting the GenericQueryWidget to know enough about what it’s displaying that the output from one widget can be used as the input of another. Not sure what to do about the first query. I think it needs to read in XML?
  • Realized that the current VISIBILITY app is not going to be easily extended to ingesting new data types. Sigh.

Thursday 5.14.2009

7:30 – 3:30

  • Was able to upload a new roster.xml on site
  • Got file uploading working here. Need to bring in and test
  • Windy day. Still managed a 20.4 at 265 avg watts.
  • Meeting – nope, canceled
  • Officially requested some monitors
  • Added a “custom query” field to the SOLR Manager. Tomorrow I’ll play with accessing the db.
  • Need to add pieces to show billet info
  • Dong is setting up an HTTPS server. We’ll see if all this stuff still works.

Visibility

05/18/09

  • Fixed update problem on IndexAdmin.panel by appending timestamp
  • URL ingest tested – needs user/passwrod authentication.
  • Installed and configured TomCat (port 8088 and 8443) on laptop-30
  • Visibility having database connection problem on laptop-30

05/14/09

  • URL Ingest implemented on the server
  • Configuring TomCat for SSL

05/13/09

  • Tested UserAdmin Panel
  • Corrected update problem on Server and IndexAdmin panels

8:00 – 4:30

· Start RestServerLog – it’s working, after Dong poked at it for a while
· Get file uploading working – close. Html version is working with the sevlet (After Clift pointed out that I hadn’t adjusted the web.xml. Doh!)
· Waiting for SVN account for Visibility
* Finally go Clift out today on the bike. 23 miles at 15.5

Phil's Log 5.13.09

8:00 –

· Start ResrServerLog
· Get file uploading working
· Waiting for SVN account for Visibility

Phil's Logs – 4.13.09 – 5.12.09

5/12/09 – 8:00 – 4:00

· Start building a management component
· Dentist at 5:10 today
· Need to write a Billet generator
· Got my remote desktop working
· Have an odd bug where data from the flex app does not match data from the web page. Looking into that, which requires server log widget.


5/11/09 – 7:30 – 3:30

· Start building a management component
· Add User – already done
· Delete User – already done
· View Users – already done
· Ingest personnel from a specified file
· Clear personnel
· Put together another DynamicPanel, based on Dong’s work and the TitleWindow class
· Swing by the Fort on my way home and see if I can get accounts rolling
· Asked for local admin on my development machine and the Visibility server. Talked to Mike about formats and such for Billets


5/8/09 – 7:30 – 3:30

· More Visibility learning. Got the projects linked and running correctly
· Got the Create Project component of MvnAssist finally working the way I wanted.
· Lunch with Mike K at Cuban place. Looks like we’re going to be working together at s2f


5/7/09 – 7:30 – 4:30

· Integrated FileInstaller, getting the naming right on deeply nested entries in the local repo. Done
· Got the java and Flex code for visibility running on my box


5/6/09 – 7:30 – 4:00

· 10:30 meeting with Visibility project at the fort
· More trying to get Visibility server to build under Maven
· Need to be able to install files on the local machine, since javaee is not available on the repo. The command is: mvn install:install-file -Dfile=
-DgroupId= -DartifactId= -Dversion= -Dpackaging=
· Adding the local repo to the repo nav view


5/5/09 – 7:30 – 4:30

· Dong needs to call Brian today re: Geico meeting?
· Need to have MvnAssist setup .project and .classpath files for eclipse projects – Turns out the eclipse:eclipse task does this. Yay!
· Started trying to get the Visibility servlet set up as a Maven project and promptly ran into a few problems
· First, solr doesn’t have a spot in the official repo. I found it in the apache section of the jboss repo (http://repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/apache). I also learned that repos have a very particular structure. It must be Group->artifact->version. The hierarchy on the website may be higher than that, but that means that therer is a “meta” structure on top of a set of repos
· Second, my repo browser didn’t know how to handle a “back” href that was explicit and not relative
· Third, since the default java version for maven is 1.3, I had to set the value in the compiler plugin. I’m not happy with the current fix, but it’s OK.
· Last, I put in the non-depricated call to archetype (generate rather than create). It’s even uglier! And I think that some of the templates are busted, so I’m forcing the quickstart template.
· Reading Brian’s RFP. Also read the Organic papers. Interesting, though I wonder about the ingestionn process.


5/4/09 – 7:30 – 3:30

· Integrate dependency browsing in MvnAssist by looking at the effective POM. Also, make sure to list the dependencies that are already in the POM – done. Need to test
· Going to the fort to learn about the Visibility project and get introduced around.


5/1/09 – 7:30 – 4:30

· Integrate dependency browsing in MvnAssist by looking at the effective POM. Also, make sure to list the dependencies that are already in the POM – getting closer – one more day?
· AppBoard meeting
· Lunch meeting with Dave and Becky


4/30/09 – 7:45 – 5:45

· Integrate dependency browsing in MvnAssist by looking at the effective POM. Also, make sure to list the dependencies that are already in the POM
· Start requirements for Version2 – first pass is done, but it took the whole day.
· Start on xml generator for Visibility


4/29/09 – 7:30 – 3:30

· Figuring out dependencies and adding them to MvnAssist. Made good progress.


4/28/09 – 8:00 – 4:00

· Rode to work again today! This time I remembered to put the water bottle in the freezer for the way home
· Rolled in comments to proposal
· Found a very cool Google 3D web API – http://code.google.com/apis/o3d/
· Learned how to admin our SVN repo
· Integrating the m2Eclipse plugin, which is kinda crappy


4/27/09 – 8:15 – 4:15

· Rode to work today!
· Finished first draft of proposal. Roll in comments tomorrow
· Looks like I’m going to backfill Mike. Learning the system


4/24/09 – 8:00 – 5:00

· Need to drive the output for project creation in MvnAssist to a new console window so that there can be user interaction
· Finish writing up justification. Oddly, I sent the prior art emails from home but they didn’t get to my inbox here. Yes they did – it just took a while. Anyway, didn’t finish the justification, but made good progress
· Get tweezers!
· Check for glue over at IA-Labs?
· Need to write up a requirements document for Version Two.


4/23/09 – 8:00 – 4:00

· Some polishing on MvnAssist
· Chat with Tom over at the fort. It looks like an OK position – nice work environment. No viz though
· Tried to attach strain gauges, but discovered that I have no glue. To order the glue $190, I need to write up a justification. Got about a page into that.


4/22/09 – 8:00

· Got MvnAssist working pretty well
· Interview with Boeng. Mismatch on positions. Need to look some more
· Built a test rig for Force input/ Motion feedback


4/21/09 – 7:00 – 4:00

· Geico demo today
· Back to MvnAssist
· Good bike ride – 19.9 on the ‘rural’ 15 mile section


4/20/09 – 7:30 – 4:00

· Finishing up USMapWidget
· Making widget work with multiple states selected so regions will work – done
· Integrated with Dong’s code.


4/17/09 – 7:30 – 4:30

· Finishing up USMapWidget
· Helped Aaron out with his widget
· Started to get familiar with Analyst Notebook


4/16/09 – 8:00 – 4:00

· Working on StateItem
· Most of the map widget components are done. Had an odd problem where degrafa makes colors in the range 0x000100 – 000F00 as red. Hmmm.
· Need to set up a target data provider in the map widget
· Need a [Bindble] way to set selected in the map without clicking


4/15/09 – 8:00 – 5:00

· I really just hate getting up on rainy days
· Starting on map widget – it needs a *lot* of cleanup
· Trapping events on states
· Need to do the following:
o Item_name – String
o Item_data – Object
o Item_value – Number
o Item_units – String
o Max_val – Number
o Min_val – Number
o Max_color – RgbColor
o Min_color (then a linear parametric function that maps color to value)
o State as a separate value (red, green, yellow, gray)


4/14/09 – 7:30 – 5:30

· Got some more Maven Assist entered
· Setting up structure for Geico demo
· After a small eternity, managed to get TortoiseSVN and rearranged the SVN repo
· Got the NetworkWidget added as a component
· Added reload capability to SmartShapeContainer


4/13/2009 – 7:15 – 4:00

· Getting set up
· Can’t log into the network – no one here to ask yet
· Keying in MvnAssist
· Need to get Dom4j -done
· Talked to Clift about stuff. Geico dem coming up – he wants to put integrate his map. It strikes me that this might be a nide app for the MSD network view. Need to build out project with Dong tomorrow.

WordPress blogging up and running at laptop-30

it’s up and running!

Current Users:

  • dong.shin
  • phil.feldman