7:00 – 5:00 ASRC
- It would be interesting to do a crawl on those sources (weighted by the amount visited?) and do a word model analysis.
- Continuing with Sociophysics
- Page 25 discusses Marian Boguña et al Models of Social Networks based on Social Distance Attachment which uses the concept of social distance. A set of quantities (e.g. profession, religion, location) are used and the social distance between two individuals is the difference in the quantities.
- More state-space simulation from page 28: Spin-glass-like Dynamics of Social Networks. Digging around uncovered her thesis: Information and Entropy in Neural Networks and Interacting Systems. From the abstract:
- Like neural networks, large ensembles of similar units that interact also need a generalization of classical information-theoretic concepts. We extend the concept of Shannon entropy in a novel way, which may be relevant when we have such interacting systems, and show how it differs from Shannon entropy and other generalizations, such as Tsallis entropy.
- Mean Field Approximation – In physics and probability theory, mean field theory (MFT also known as self-consistent field theory) studies the behavior of large and complex stochastic models by studying a simpler model. Such models consider a large number of small individual components which interact with each other. The effect of all the other individuals on any given individual is approximated by a single averaged effect, thus reducing a many-body problem to a one-body problem.
- Fixed the header problem in Labled2dMatrix.fromExcelSheet()
- Here’s the term extraction using NMF with a k = 2:
chapter-3-the-spouter-inn, chapter-1-loomings, chapter-2-the-carpet-bag harpooneer water landlord about light stand thousand other night passenger chapter-2-the-carpet-bag, chapter-4-the-counterpane, chapter-1-loomings queequeg landlord harpooneer sailor money nantucket passenger sight where dream
- And here are the document clusters. Just looking at this, I see that each term-triple (the top three from the above list) could easily cluster into three groups each:
queequeg-landlord-harpooneer chapter-2-the-carpet-bag 4.158255493 chapter-4-the-counterpane 2.889135473 chapter-1-loomings 2.370002854 chapter-3-the-spouter-inn 0.651989511 harpooneer-water-landlord chapter-3-the-spouter-inn 7.111998945 chapter-1-loomings 1.72918472 chapter-2-the-carpet-bag 1.157125575 chapter-4-the-counterpane 0.000284084
- Working on incorporating the factor matrices into the NmfModelGui. Looks like I use Maps as discussed at the bottom of this page. Building a L2DMat2Table class that should take care of doing this for each matrix.
- Some thoughts abut Jobs, work and the Amish. Are they economically competitive? Value-add? Why does this work?
- Fika talk Dr. Quincey Brown
- Educational Games – Microsoft Imagine Cup
- Mobile intelligent tutoring systems. Math on iPads
- Children using touch and gesture. Different than adult usage?
- Broadening participation in computing, Grace Hopper, etc.
- Science and Technology fellowships at the AAAS (during healthcare.gov launch)
- White House nation of makers
- No real effort to cultivate press relationships and new media ways to get the word out.Leverage YouTube?
- Meeting with Wayne
- Latent social hacking
- Getting a server
- Contact Ron for an abandoned Blade
- Campus cluster (underutilized) Free Student access (Damian Doyle) HPCF.umbc.edu. Write a note for Wayne to send.
- UMBC agreement with AWS
- Note to Wayne on getting a Google grant