ASRC MKT 7:00 – 5:30
- Integrating airplane notes on Influence of augmented humans in online interactions during voting events
- Follow up on pointing logs
- World Affairs Council (Part II. Part I is Jennifer Kavanagh and Tom Nichols: The End of Authority)
- With so many forces undermining democratic institutions worldwide, we wanted a chance to take a step back and provide some perspective. Russian interference in elections here and in Europe, the rise in fake news and a decline in citizen trust worldwide pose a danger. In this second of a three part series, we look at the role of social media and the ways in which it was exploited for the purpose of sowing distrust. Janine Zacharia, former Jerusalem bureau chief and Middle East correspondent for The Washington Post, and Roger McNamee, managing director at Elevation Partners and an early stage investor in Google and Facebook, are in conversation with World Affairs CEO Jane Wales.
- “The ultimate combination of propaganda and gambling … powered by machine learning”
- The emergence of consensus: a primer (No Moscovici – odd)
- The origin of population-scale coordination has puzzled philosophers and scientists for centuries. Recently, game theory, evolutionary approaches and complex systems science have provided quantitative insights on the mechanisms of social consensus. However, the literature is vast and widely scattered across fields, making it hard for the single researcher to navigate it. This short review aims to provide a compact overview of the main dimensions over which the debate has unfolded and to discuss some representative examples. It focuses on those situations in which consensus emerges ‘spontaneously’ in the absence of centralized institutions and covers topics that include the macroscopic consequences of the different microscopic rules of behavioural contagion, the role of social networks and the mechanisms that prevent the formation of a consensus or alter it after it has emerged. Special attention is devoted to the recent wave of experiments on the emergence of consensus in social systems.
- Need to write up diversity injection proposal
- Basically updated PSAs for social media
- Intent is to expand the information horizon, not to counter anything in particular. So it’s not political
- Presented in a variety of ways (maps, stories and lists)
- Goes identically into everyone’s feed
- Can be blocked, but blockers need to be studied
- More injection as time on site goes up. Particularly with YouTube & FB
- Working on SASO paper. Made it through discussion